Friday, October 22, 2010

Levi Miller - 19 Years Old

A couple of weeks ago, my friend's nephew died. He was one month into his 19th year.

Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy killed him.

I didn't know Levi. I wish I had. The program from his funeral tells me that he "was a computer gamer, a Hawkeye football fan, sci-fi fanatic, US military and history junky and food network junky...:

He was 19 years old, a boy who wasn't granted the time to become a man.

And yet...

He dealt with more than you or I have in our lifetimes - he faced his own mortality.

Everything we do to raise money and find a cure is about two things: It's about honoring boys like Levi who fought DMD each day of their lives, and it's about my son and boy's like him who are just beginning the fight.

I want to believe that, after 150 years, Levi is of the last generation of boys who will have to suffer and die from this disease.

Levi, God be with you - I hope that, wherever you are
, you're feeling your strong legs under you - you're running fast, jumping far, and your wheelchair is just a distant memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment